Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ho Chi Minh City - Day 5 (29 Aug '10) Part 1

During midnight, YX was tossing left and right. I felt something was wrong and as I touched him, he was HOT. Oh dear...YX had a fever. Luckily I brought some medications from home and gave him a dose of panadol. Dad woke up in the middle of the night too to give YX cold compress (putting damp towel on the forehead) to bring down his temperature. YX's fever was subsided when he woke up in the morning.

We continued with our tour to the City Hall for some photo shots. That's the statue of Ho Chi Minh. Click here for more info.

Next, we proceeded to our last tour in our Itinerary which was the Cu Chi Tunnel. Click here for more info.

The journey took us about 1+ hour drive. Along the journey, we passed by lots of rubber trees and we saw many hammocks were being tied to the trees. I estimated as many as 50 hammocks. It was a beautiful scene.

Right in the Cu Chi Tunnel, we were being ushered to a small area to watch a very sad video of the war. Not a very nice show. The sound of bombs, machine guns and planes really made me sad. We just have to appreciate the peaceful life which we are all having now. What more can we ask for if we were to look at how the war victims suffering. After the video, one of the in-house guide gave a brief introductions of how the people of Vietnam suffered, yet stayed strong and fought for victories.

One of the in-house guide showed us how the guerrilla escaped underground. The opening is very small. After his demonstration, it was open to the public to try. C went to have some fun. She went in easily but she got no strength to come up. LOL. So dad and D helped to pull her out from the hole.

These are some example of rubber shoes that the guerrillas wore. The materials used will not leave any footprints on the ground. I found the sequence of the sizes were very cute, hence I took a picture of it.


We had a tour inside the tunnel with the in - house guide. The tunnels were part of where the guerrillas once stayed for years during the war. It was narrow, dark and low. We got to bend almost 45 degree to walk. It was a difficult walk even we took the shortest (20m) of the 3 tunnels to choose from - 20m, 30m and 50m.

Dad, mum and YX did not join in the tunnel tour. Glad that they didn't because I don't think it is suitable for the senior citizens to walk along the tunnel bended all the way. YX started to be cranky and refused to walk. So dad and I had to rotate to carry him.

Next, it was a place all of us were longing for - Restaurant because we were all so hungry after touring the Cu Chi Tunnel. This time, we ate at a Chinese Restaurant in the Chinatown. All of us rated this meal as the BEST of all while staying in Vietnam.


Clockwise from TOP : siew bak choy, stir fried varieties of mushrooms, acar with chicken feet skin topped with BBQ pork, stir fried venison with ginger, steamed fish in soy sauce.
Middle : pai guat wong (sweet and sour pork ribs) - This is the best of all dishes and we 'sapu-ed' it clean.
Not in the picture : Seaweed soup with minced meat , winter melon with shredded dried scallops.

In the restaurant, YX was not feeling well again. He looked tired and refused to eat. I fed him another dose of panadol and force him to drink some seaweed soup. Soon, he started to perspire and I was glad to 'welcome' back my mischievous boy.

13 comments:

  1. very interesting lah! thanks for sharing :):)

    Have a happy weekend!
    jen @ www.charmoflife.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you boy was not feeling well during the trip. Thank God you were prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo...more nice food. Ya, when travelling, I will always bring a lot of medicine - just to be prepared in case needed. If not, bring all home again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that series of shoes is cute, haha.. wow, i didn't know they leave no trace on the ground, cool.. i only know they are the best anti-slip shoes, friends climbing Mt KK were wearing rubber shoes too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. you didn't get into the hole to try out too?

    the tunnel is actually more for smaller-sized ppl. my bf who's very tall, went in with me and we took the longest route... he came out perspiring and even vommitted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, the guerrillas has such small feet? Is that for their children?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you have got the medicine with you, I think most of the parents will get all this thing prepare when traveling with kids, same goes to me...

    This is indeed an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. jen cheung ~ If ever you have the time, maybe can consider HCM. A nice place to visit.

    Sheoh Yan ~ Luckily I prepared all the medications. I also did not expect him to fall ill during the trip.

    suituapui ~ Better to be prepared than to be worried and kelam kabut later...

    [SK] ~ That was what the tour guide told us. Those guerrillas were very smart.

    SP ~ Oh yes...I did went into the tunnel. Wah!!! poor your bf. Actually it was a very difficult walk.

    Kelvin ~ No la...those were only for displayed.

    Mummy Moon ~ Ya lar....else I will be so worried. Luckily only mild fever and nothing serious. Else, I think I will have to fly back immediately. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Err.. this Cu Chi Tunnel looks eerie and yes, it reminds us to be grateful for what we are having now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Child falling sick during a trip is one of my worst fear when go jalan, more so if it's overseas trip - it will give me a lot of anxiety becos I not only have to deal with the sick child, but I also have to deal with the BIG BABY (i.e., hubby!) who tends to get impatient when the child gets cranky, and you know-lah, when the child is sick, he tends to get cranky. Thank goodness your son eventually recovered along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tunnel looks scary, but I bet it was a great experience walking thru it. Phew, good thing YX's fever wasn't becoz of something serious. Nevertheless, I'm sure u were dead worried then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Child falling sick during a trip is one of my worst fear when go jalan, more so if it's overseas trip - it will give me a lot of anxiety becos I not only have to deal with the sick child, but I also have to deal with the BIG BABY (i.e., hubby!) who tends to get impatient when the child gets cranky, and you know-lah, when the child is sick, he tends to get cranky. Thank goodness your son eventually recovered along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooo...more nice food. Ya, when travelling, I will always bring a lot of medicine - just to be prepared in case needed. If not, bring all home again.

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails