Saturday, October 20, 2012

Beware of fraud !

Two days ago, my friend (Z) was cheated of RM5000 by a group of professionals. They were professionals because they uses psychology to make Z believed in everything they said !

The story goes......

Z received a phone call from a man claiming he was from Telekom. He told Z that TM needs to suspend his Unifi account as Z did not pay his bill for months amounting to RM3000. Z was shocked and told the man that he does not have any Unifi account.

The man read out Z's full name (correct). He then read out Z's IC number (correct). He continues with Z's address (WRONG). The man then said somebody must have used Z's identity to apply for the Unifi services and owe TMnet money. Since the account is under Z's name and IC number, he must settle the bill. This made Z worried.

The man advised Z to call Bank Negara to make a complaint so TMnet will be above to cancel those unpaid bills under Z's name. The man then gave Z Bank Negara's contact number.

The mistake here was, Z did not check with TMnet about this issues and did not even check Bank Negara's contact number. Instead, he believed what the man told him and called the number given. When the number got through, Z heard the welcoming messages and auto operator asking you to press 1,2 or 3 to select your preferred languages. Once you have selected the languages, you need to select the product /services required which Z selected 'Complaints'.

A lady spoke very professionally and took down the complaint Z made. The lady even transferred Z's call to another lady claimed to be the supervisor. The supervisor gave Z a reference number for the complained made and told Z someone from Bank Negara will call him back for further clarifications. Everything was done so professionally which leads Z to believe he was speaking to the actual staffs of Bank Negara.

The next morning, Z received a phone call from the fake staff of Bank Negara. The man advised Z to goes to the nearest ATM machine to make some changes. Since Z did not even suspect anything amiss, he did what was told.

The man navigated Z to press the buttons on the ATM machine over the phone. Z was concentrating and did not even realized what he was pressing on the machine. He just listened and pressed accordingly. Once everything was done, the man then told Z that he can continue to use his credit cards and ATM cards without needing to cancel as what was previously advised. Z even thanked the man for helping him.

However, out of a sudden, Z came to his senses and felt something just not right. It was his six sense, perhaps. He quickly checked his account via the ATM machines again. To his horror, the buttons he pressed were actually transferring money to a third party account and he did it unconsciously !

Z visited TM center and was told, he was not the first victims.He then checked with numerous bank but none have such accounts. One of the bank officer told Z the account number might be an overseas account.

Just a few phone calls and a few buttons pressed, RM5000 flew away just like that ! Z was frustrated and angry but what done cannot be undone.


52 comments:

  1. oh dear, your poor friend. The other day i received a call asking for help to do a survey. Then I so dum go answer everything about some personal question. Felt something not right and called back the number but there number is not registered. So regret for being kind by helping these bastards to complete their survey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays a lot of such calls. Such a nuisance.

      Delete
  2. Any such calls, I will just cut the caller short, say sorry and hang up. Cannot even talk to them - dunno what tricks they have up their sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually will.....but Z heard his name and IC read out correctly. That makes him really worried.

      Delete
  3. I don't entertain such calls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, I would never entertain such calls,...just say "sorry, busy at this moment" and hung up the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually we will avoid. But unfortunately, Z heard his name and IC being read out correctly.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear your friend's incident and thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard about this too. It is getting very frequent now. Thanks for sharing this as a reminder for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes....a reminder for everyone....

      Delete
  7. I don't entertain such calls. I just cut it short saying I am driving or busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Z heard his name and IC being read out correctly. He must be wondering......

      Delete
  8. Can make police report? Can bank suspend or reverse the transfer?

    The scammers even invest in the IVR system and make the setting so professional...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Z went to the bank and was told that was a very normal case. The bank staff was not surprised at all !

      Yes...very professional.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear ..... thanks for alerting us about this scam! I have received a lot of calls which can produced my add and IC number. I really wonder where they get such info from and the only one I can think of is the info I gave to Maybank credit card department. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very scary indeed. They did their studies before calling their victim.....

      Delete
  10. I received such call too few days ago with a phone number +1300888123. It started with a recording message (in mandarin) saying that you owe TM RM3000. I hang up immediately as i don't have a TM account! Hope that people can be more careful when receiving calls. Even better not to received any calls if you are not familiar with the phone number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh.....luckily you hung up!

      Z had an account with TM. That's why Z continued with the conversations...

      Delete
  11. Scamming is getting more hi tech n more professional these days. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Really scary huh....just becareful when receiving suspicious call...

      Delete
  13. yes, nowadyas fraud is overly common... and we just got to be extra extra careful especially money is concern... scary world nowadays... and on another note, I don't usually keep lots of cash in the account especially those active ones..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good not to keep too much money in the account...anything can happened.

      Delete
  14. Oh gosh a silly mistake your friend made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He regretted. Too late to save his hard earn $$$$$. Just have to let it go....

      Delete
  15. Gosh!~ Scary.. Dun believe in anything..

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is notthe first time i heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You heard of such scams before ?

      Delete
  17. scam nowadays are just so clever....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These people are so disgusting......smart ass.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for sharing. I didn't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think i have a friend facing the same. but she was very frustrated until she yelled at people who called her, and refused to pay a single cent for it..

    Latest: Menu of the Day: PEBBLES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend yelled at the caller ? haha...good on her

      Delete
  20. thanks for sharing. i reshared you contents with proper citation in another forum.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Received so today..but i didnt dare to pick up..i've Googled and found ur blog link..hope u can allow me to share ur blog link thru my blog..Thanks Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sad to share...its happened to me on last week.My whole mths salary gone!!Cried without tears :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I received a call from this number today. I have counter checked with TM and also MBF, both confirm is a phone scammer. I will make a police report later today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My friend received this kind of call right beside me today. I believed that it was a fraud when my friend told me that the call was talking about she has an outstanding balance of Unifi. Indeed the person on the phone was very helpful and told my friend to call to another number given for investigation. Fortunately I google about that and came across to your blog! Thank you for your info! Otherwise, there will be more victims....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing
    The same whole story was just happened on my boyfriend this morning...
    And while we requested for their IC and Stuff ID,
    They are not dare to give...
    Super nonsense...

    ReplyDelete
  26. you will NOT see tollfree number broadcast as the caller Id on your phone.

    if you see any toll free number, its a fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I got a call at 3pm today from the same number. As I was stunned I followed the conversation and asked to speak to the supervisor. The supervisor called me back and was about to give me a Bank Negara number to call when the line hang due to lousy reception at my place.

    First time I felt grateful with having lousy reception!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heyа i am for the firѕt time here. I camе across this bοard anԁ ӏ find It
    tгuly useful & it helpеd me οut а lot.

    I hope to give something back аnd help otheгs
    liκe you helped me.

    Feеl free to vіsit my webpage http://idrotherapyreviews.com
    My page - http://idrotherapyreviews.com,http://idrotherapyreviews.com/,http://www.idrotherapyreviews.com/,http://www.idrotherapyreviews.com, www.idrotherapyreviews.com, www.idrotherapyreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Me also received call from number 100 this afternoon and then enter no 9 or whatever and after that i've been connected to somebody claimed that he was from credit department. this malay guy telling me that i have outstanding for last x months. our chat end up with argument where he is yelling at me about something that not related to me and since i'm not satisfied with 'his service' i'm also yelling and scolding to him. becos i'm so angry at time..i'll just end up with hang up the call. i'm checking with my fren who is working with TM, he found out that there was no account under my IC, and after some googling i've read ur website and this website http://www.ohtidak.com/oh-hati-hati-dengan-panggilan-scam-dari-nombor-tm/ about the same scam.

    Thanks god i'm not being a 'soft spoken' customer at that moment and i'm glad that i have a chance to 'maki-ing' to that scam geng.

    Lesson learned today, do not simply doing any transaction without checking with the legal authority.

    ReplyDelete
  30. me also received this call afternoon . after the women ask me to press # 5 , i turn off call..hahaa..... selamat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. UNIFI is CHEATER and LIAR! During sales talk promised me installation will complete within 5 hours but it took 2 days!!! This is the 1st LIE.

    After connected on the first day, UNIFI disconnected for 3 days and I have been calling 3 times to Customer Service to report but no action taken. All I get is a STOOOPID Report Ref. No. UNIFI says the 2nd level technician will call me back within 24 hours but no one get back to me after more than 2 days!!!! This is the 2nd LIE.

    I HATE UNIFI!!! UNIFI spoilt my New Year 2014. I regret ever getting UNIFI. If you ever think of getting UNIFI, DON'T DO IT.

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails