Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Reward

Do you reward your child even for the slightest thing? To me, I think reward works best and it really means a lot to a child regardless of the value.

Recently, I noticed 2 permanent teeth sprouted out on YX's bottom front with his baby teeth still intact. To make matter worst, the baby teeth weren't shaky at all. I was afraid the permanent teeth will not grow properly if the baby teeth does not give way to them. So, I told my boy that I will have to bring him to the dentist to extract the baby teeth so the new teeth have space to grow.

As a very timid boy, he quickly protest. I talked to him for a few days until one day, I promised to bring him to a stationary shop and he can choose something (which have to be approved by me) as a reward after the dentist visits.

Posing like 'Ah Pek' (old man) with a giant fake teeth

He agreed and off we went. He cooperates with me, holding my hand and we walked into the dentist room without any problem. He sits on the chair and opens his mouth as wide as possible for the dentist to check his teeth.

Since his baby teeth were not shaking yet, the dentist advised me to bring him back in another 2 - 3 weeks time. Once it is shaky, the extraction will be easier. Otherwise, injections will be required in order to extract the teeth. I rejected the injections as I doesn't want to scare him his entire life of visiting a dentist.

His own choice
Since I've already promised him on a reward, a promise must be kept. Even no treatment was done, but at least he still cooperates with me while we were in the dentist. I drove him to a nearby stationary shop and he requested for a pen. He choose an orange colour pen and I can see he was very happy to earn this reward.

You may click here to see his drawing with this new pen. Remember to 'LIKE' us in Facebook by clicking here. TQ

34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. not demanding also. simple pen :)

      Delete
    2. Glad that he only choose a pen. haha....

      Delete
  2. Reward is a good thing. It motivate us more ;)
    Even adults like to be rewarded too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...I love rewards too.....especially $$$$ (money face) haha

      Delete
  3. yes, i agree with you.. rewards can really motivate the kids, be it extrinsic materials or intrinsic encouragements, but have to use them moderately also lah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and going to the dentist really needs a lot of courage, even for the adults and not to mention for kids, hahaha!!

      Delete
    2. hopefully his baby teeth will start to be shaky and drop by themselves so to give way to the new teeth to grow.. but quite strange huh?? the new teeth comes before the baby teeth are gone?? :p

      Delete
    3. anyway your boy didn't ask much he just wanted a pen for him to draw and doodle.. i think he is easily satisfied huh?? which is a good thing for you.. :p

      Delete
    4. I'm afraid of the dentist, myself! Till today, the baby teeth are not shaky! I wonder what should I do as the permanent teeth are growing every day!

      Luckily he is a simple boy, easily satisfied! haha

      Delete
  4. I reward my kids sometimes, not all the time because I don't want to imply that whatever they do come with rewards. Such as, it's their responsibility to finish their homework with my nagging, no reward, ok? Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya...might send wrong message across.

      Delete
  5. Yes...but when they truly deserve it and not too often. They will expect it all the time and will not cherish and treasure it - it becomes a routine, meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed with you....else it will become a MUST thing to do.

      Delete
  6. Will reward but not frequent. Normally I will bribe them with food.hahahhaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha....food is a great reward too, especially their favourites!

      Delete
  7. Reward is useful, but it can be dangerous too. I find my girls tend to ask for reward in whatever they do now. Sweat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.....rewards does have it's pros and cons....

      Delete
  8. Wow, you even thought of not wanting him to be scared of dentist in the future...

    During my class, my lecturer, in his 40s told us his traumatic story of visiting the dentist when he was young...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because i'm afraid of the dentist, myself. haha....so i don't want him to have that kind of fear.

      U know, if possible, I will try to avoid the dentist. I;m afraid of all kinds of treatments from scaling, filling and extractions! It will be a nightmare for me!

      Delete
  9. yes, a reward helps..I did that too with my kids when they were young..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U can still reward them now.......bet they will love it. haha

      Delete
  10. I also reward my kids as we have a reward chart at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow.....cool! At least the kids know when they will get their rewards by following the chart!

      Delete
  11. Yes my kids love reward. Just a small token for them eg. sticker, chocolate bar they will be very happy. Hope his baby teeth will shaking soon so it's easily for dentist to extract it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kids are easily satisfied hor.....Till now, the baby teeth still standing strong. I wonder what should I do ? :(

      Delete
  12. It's a very good idea to reward the children :) I still remember the traumatic experience i went through at the dentist. Still phobia till this day :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid of dentist. In fact, I will try to avoid to visit one. haha.....

      Delete
  13. It's so nice that he only requested for a pen. As for Ethan it is usually books or toys..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wanted something he can use...so he chose a pen.

      Delete
  14. oh yah .... i totally agreed with rewards . doesnt need to b expensive rewards, small rewards will make them happy and co-operation on certain things. guess what ?? i had just rewards Jeremy with a mechanical pencil too .... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...coz your boy and my boy loves to DRAW!

      Delete
  15. at least it was a good exposure for YX :)

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails