Monday, April 22, 2013

Kuey chap @ Batu Pahat

Last Saturday we made a trip down to my beloved hometown, Batu Pahat. It was a fruitful trip as I managed to meet up with old friends and had my favourite food. How I wish my parents did not shift away from this 'Food Paradise' little humble town many years back. It was such a nice town flooded with many local delicacies from Malay to Indian to Chinese food. Whenever I traveled down to BP, having kuey chap is a MUST.

Father and son team.
This shop has been operating since I was just a child. I remembered seeing the couple's children were inside the baby cot while both husband and wife ran the shop. Now, all children grown up and are helping their parents with the business.

Chilli sauce
I seldom dip into this chilli sauce as I preferred the original taste. At times, I will just dip a little bit.

Kuey teow kia, literally means mini kuey teow
Many do not know what kuey chap is and one of them is hubby. When i first introduce him this bowl of goodies a few years back, he got hooked and came back telling his mother and sisters how delicious it was. haha. The taste is similar to kuey teow but it was in triangle shape. Served with soup added with some braised pork gravy and top with fried shallots, this bowl can makes me fly to heaven !

Braised pork, taufu, bean curd skin (fuchuk) and some internal organs, pig's blood
We ate the kuey chap with the condiments and my favourite will always be the pork and taufu. The gravy seep into the meat and taufu makes the taste so awesome ! My parents loves the pig's blood and internal organs which I will give a skip. Never have the courage to try them even they kept telling me how delicious, how chewy, how tasty.


24 comments:

  1. really paiseh la me.....the firdt time i heard of kouy chap was in Penang where my fren ordered this LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...many do not know what kuey chap is.

      Delete
  2. i think this is more popular in southern part of peninsula malaysia right?? i have not tried that before until i went to JB and a friend brought me to have some.. i would say, nice, though not as addicted as your hubby, haha~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from Johor, I have not heard of any other place selling this. Maybe I'd not explored far enough? hahaa..... It is indeed delicious. How come u r not hooked ? haha

      Delete
  3. if i remember correctly, it is not exactly like koay teow but a little bit more chewy than koay teow, which gives a very good complement to the soup and also the braised assortment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, it tasted exactly like kuey teow. Not chewy la... soft texture.

      Delete
  4. but i don't eat all those internal organs and blood cubes lah.. i just like the lean mean and also the toufu.. good enough.. errr, come to think of it, they are also nice with teochew porridge, haha!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Till today, I still dare not touch those internal organs and blood too. Yucky. This shop actually serves white rice.

      Delete
  5. wow, this is interesting. i've never tried it before but i think i would like this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If u like braised pork, you will love this.

      Delete
  6. Oh? They serve the condiments separately, not in the soup. Sambal looks great. Hmmm...Batu Pahat - I think I've an ex-student from here posted to teach in a Chinese primary school there. Thank goodness they did not send my girl that far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, separately. Haha....if your girl is there, I believed you will travel there often. Such a loving father, will do whatever for his own princess.

      Delete
  7. Didnt eat this For So Long d...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your parents still in BP. Anytime u can eat.... go back more often. :)

      Delete
  8. looks yummy..I want to try the kuey chap..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very yummy....the soup + the braised pork gravy is really awesome! Ahh.....wish I had a bowl now.

      Delete
  9. Looks yummy! I also don't eat those internal organs and blood! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder how does those blood tasted like hor? haha...I never had the courage to try it.

      Delete
  10. I have heard the name of the dish but never knew how it looks like...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. actually i had only eaten the kuay chap there once during secondary school before tuition class with our classmates... after that, i have been eating kuay chap only in SG, the stall near my house sells the tastiest kuay chap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am from BP, but dunno where is this stall?? Can u let me know?:)

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails