Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Haze and Homemade Wheat Buns

Near to the Seremban Hospital. Picture was taken this morning @ 7.40am
Haze.........we experienced this every year but this year, it seems to be the worst. I still remember when I was working in KL, Port Klang was the worst hit area but hubby and I still traveled all the way there to eat Bak Kut Teh for dinner. Nevertheless, we had a great dinner and that dinner let us remembered up till today.
 
Since I have some barley in the fridge, I boiled some in the office pantry. Boiling barley water is the easiest herbal tea, at least to me. I pre-soaked a handful of barley while I put a pot of water to boil. Once the water boiled, I pour in the barley and let it simmer at low heat for about 30 - 40 minutes. We don't drink it sweet, so I did not put any sugar into it.
 
3 cheezy wheat buns and 2 wheat buns (trial versions)

While the barley water was boiling, I baked some buns for lunch. I pre-mixed the dough at home and store in the fridge overnight. I was doubtful at first as worried the yeast will be 'killed' by keeping in the fridge. So, I google and found some very useful information. Indeed, bread dough can be kept in the fridge (can even be frozen) before they rise. Before baking, just take out the portion required and let the dough sit for about an hour at room temperature before kneading them. Next, roll them into the shaped required, and after about 30 minutes later, knead them again. Finally, let them rise until doubled it's size and they are ready to go into the oven. 

I do not have a proper oven in the office's pantry, therefore, my buns were not browned evenly. The oven I'm using was those toaster oven which I can't adjust the temperature. I just baked for about 10 minutes and was very happy with the outcome as the buns were soft and fluffy. 

I bought some rendang ayam from the nearby Mamak shop and the buns goes very well with the rendang gravy. I can now baked more buns for my Roti King at home, hopefully :) 

23 comments:

  1. Time well spent! Hope the haze situation has improved now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.... sometimes baking really used up a lot of time.

      Delete
  2. yeah, after the light rain yesterday, the haze seems to cleared a bit.. but then i realized it came back again in the late morning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. over here is the same. But today seems better

      Delete
  3. oh great you are boiling your own barley water.. i think it's good to cool down and also to cleanse your inner system right?? i also love barley, and now i also usually order them "kosong"..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, drink kosong healthier. I like barley. Can really cleanse our system. Goes to toilet very often after drinking. haha

      Delete
  4. hahaha, how well you utilize your time in the office huh?? boiling the barley water and also baking your own buns!! and what's more, all inside the office pantry!! amazing~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i spent more hours in the office (awake) than at home, that explained why. haha. Back home, in less than 4 hours, it's bedtime :(

      Delete
  5. nice, staying away from the haze outside enjoying your sips of barley water as well as munches of your wheat buns!! awesome, what an enjoyable wednesday huh?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the mood kicks in, everything also jadilah ~

      Delete
  6. Just hope it clears soon.

    In Kuching, we have rain yesterday and today. So, we feel cooler and less hazy today. Just hope the rain continue to wash the haze away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya..this morning the haze was lesser....hope it doesn't comes back again

      Delete
  7. I miss making these buns. Oh, didn't know that the toaster oven can do the job too. Will try to make some if I can find bread flour here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya..I was just testing and glad it can bake too! haha...but doesn't browned the buns evenly. If u don't mind the look, this oven can be quite handy.

      Delete
  8. Haze is getting slightly better today, it rained!
    Hopefully no more please!! Very terrible la~

    Your buns looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, still at the learning stage. Wanna try to make buns with fillings next time

      Delete
  9. yu...drink more water like Barley...gonna have haze again this saturday according to the radio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? hope haze doesn't come back again....

      Delete
  10. Today is clear skies here in KL. I want to try making my own bread too. Your buns look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to bake and especially when we baked for our loved ones. I wanna try your chocolate chips too.....

      Delete
  11. Your wheat buns look so yummy. Thank God the haze is gone ...for now.

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails