Friday, July 5, 2013

Simple Steamed Chocolate Cakes

After having school canteen's cater food for about 4 months, YX got bored as the menu remained the same every week. Moreover, the catered food was mostly noodles which YX doesn't really fancy. So, he requested to bring his own snack box. Now, the headache was we have to think of a variety snacks for him and as a picky eater, the choice was limited. So I started to google for some cake recipe and suddenly remembered Chole's mum had shared a fool-proof cake recipe in her blog.

Dry Ingredient
4 tbsp self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Wet Ingredient 
1 egg
3 tbsp milk ( I used Chocolate flavoured fresh milk )
5 tbsp sugar ( I reduced to 4 tbsp )
3 tbsp melted butter ( I used 3 tbsp cooking oil as I don't have butter )
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
some chocolate chips ( I don't have chocolate chips )

Self-raising flour, baking powder & cocoa powder
1. Mixed the dry ingredient into a large bowl and kept aside.
 

Chocolate fresh milk & an egg
2. Cracked an egg into a clean bowl and add the other wet ingredient into it. Mix well.


Mixed wet ingredient into dry ingredient
3. Mixed the wet ingredient into the dry ingredient and mix well.

 
Cake batter ready for steaming




4. Stir and combined them until you get a smooth batter.


 
Poured onto Aluminum foil

5. Since I have some aluminum foil at home, I used it to make into mini cup cakes. I'm not sure how high the cake will raise after steaming, so I did not fill up the foil. However, the cake didn't raise too much and there were still space for more batter. 

6. Pre-boiled a pot of water for steaming. Once the water boils, turn to low fire and steam the cake for 10 - 15 minutes.

 
Fresh from the 'pot'
  7. Used a clean fork to test the cake. If you get a clean fork, the cake is ready !


 
The obvious holes on the cake's surface was created by a fork I used to test if the cake is done or not

Moist chocolate cakes
The cakes are very moist and very chocolatey. If only I have butter and chocolate chips, I bet the cake will taste even better. I used approx. 40 minutes to prepare the cake (including steaming). The boy happily brought the cake to school the next morning !
 

30 comments:

  1. ooh, you also into baking?? seems like a lot of blogger mommies are also baking recently huh?? is it a trend?? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a trend. It is LOVE. haha... for the sake of the kids, we just got to learn.

      Delete
    2. Haha agree! Once we start we can't stop, LOL!

      Delete
  2. chocolate cake!! kids sure like chocolate cakes lah.. and this one is steamed on, make it even more special huh?? i have not tried a steamed chocolate cake before though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy to make. And also doesn't take up a lot of your time.

      Delete
  3. oh yeah, noticed you didn't put in butter and chocolate chips.. i bet with those sure the cakes will taste even better!! i just love moist cakes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I have those ingredient in the fridge. But then, using cooking oil works too.

      Delete
  4. this cake looks simple and didn't need a lot of ingredients and steps to bake huh?? hmmm, can try one day at home..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya ya....very simple and so suitable for a beginner like me. haha.....U should try one day and blog about it ! haha

      Delete
  5. That looks delicious...Yes, I will like to have lots of chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, just bought a pack of chocolate chips...gonna do this cake again soon....

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. U can try this recipe at home.

      Delete
  7. By the way, your cakes looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I believed your 3 angles will love these

      Delete
  9. wow, so easy. I must try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, u have to try. Easy n doesn't consume a lot if time.

      Delete
  10. Yums! Almost every blog I hopped to right now is posting about food. Making me hungry at this hour :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...... Long live FOOD ! We just can't live without it.

      Delete
  11. Steamed? Hmmm...I may be able to manage this... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sure u can. It's a very easy recipe n delicious too.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. gonno try again when i have the mood. hehe

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. u can try some....bet J will loves it.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. no prob. Blog are for sharing :)

      Delete
  15. Hmm, this look easy to make. Will give it a try.

    I also having headache thinking what to prepare for my kids' snack boxes every weekday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya...i wonder how we survived during our schooling days ? Wonder if we did get bored with the school canteen food. hehe

      Delete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails