Friday, March 7, 2014

Salted Fish Bun

Lately, I've noticed MIL had been watching this particular Hong Kong dramas over the television. I did not really take note because it was those 'gu zhuang' / 'wu xia' (historical) type of dramas. I never like dramas / movies revolved around the emperor era. It will be fighting here and there with swords.

Then one fine day, YX used my computer to browse through YouTube. I thought he was going to watch cartoons or listen to Chinese New Year songs. Surprisingly, he asked for my help to search for that Hong Kong dramas MIL was watching. He doesn't know the full name but able to provide me the title consist of 'chopstick' and after some descriptions, I knew what he meant. I felt rather amused because I never expect he will be interested in such dramas !

I search online and finally got the full name "Gilded Chopsticks". Rather curious, I watched the 1st episode with YX to see what is so attractive about this dramas. So, I was wrong. It was not about fighting here and there with a sword. Hahaha......it focused on FOOD !  Fine delicacies for the emperor to feast on.

Then, the salted fish bun featured in the dramas caught my attention. I really wonder if there is really such a dish famous in this world ? I really wish to taste it because I love salted fish. I love salted fish to be eaten with plain porridge, salted fish stir fried with bean sprouts and salted fish fried rice !

On top of that, in the 1st episode, the chef who prepared the salted fish bun described the bun to be CRISPY on the outside, SOFT and JUICY in the inside. It really sounded so delicious ! There is also one part where one of the emperor's son (not known to the chef) wanted to buy the salted fish bun but was denied because the bun is best to be eaten in the shop itself. As for take away, the journey shouldn't be more than an hour to preserve it's freshness. Anyway, you may watch the drama yourself to see what happened next.

22 comments:

  1. I also like gu chong movie more than modern one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer modern dramas / movie.

      Delete
  2. I know this drama, Wong Zhou Lan is pretty funny, hehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...and my son always quoted what he said " Fan shang fan shang, hum yue fan shang" something like that. hahaha.....

      Delete
  3. haha, i have been watching this drama series too.. Gilded Chopstick 食為奴!! kind of nice to watch also because it's light and not that heavy like what you initially thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite an interesting drama even after watching episode 1. I'm waiting for my son's school holidays (end of Mar) to watch together with him.

      Delete
  4. a good blend of food topic but also the storyline of princes fighting for the throne, and then in the end how the new king has changed to a totally different person.. the historical background is according to real history during the Qing Dynasty, there were really those people in the history.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really ? Wow...I have no knowledge at all on these Chinese histories.

      Delete
  5. oh yeah, actually when i saw the title "Salted Fish Bun" i was wondering would you actually be talking about this series?? and hehehe, i was right!! i've watched till the episode 14 now, guess going to end soon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.....the buns are the icon for this dramas

      Delete
  6. never hearx of such salted fish bun before. haha. maybe google, and you may find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did google but did not come across any.

      Delete
  7. Yep, the salted fish bun is getting popular cause of the drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it selling in our country? I've never heard of one until this drama. Now, i really wish to taste it.

      Delete
  8. Interesting. I only know the sambal ikan bilis bun, also the small ones, deep fried...they call it Doraemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to buy those Burger Malaysia, a small bun filled with sambal and a piece of cucumber. Now, we hardly can get a nice one.

      Delete
  9. i m wacing it now too.....nice comedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try n do the salted fish bun. I don't mind to be your genuine pig.

      Delete
  10. I saw that drama a bit but I spend almost all the time watching the 2 Korean channels over Astro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly have the time to watch television at home . After I finished my chores, it is time for bed.

      Delete
  11. I also don't like to watch those wu xia or gu zhuang drama, I prefer modern days drama

    ReplyDelete
  12. there is salted fish bun selling in ipoh. i try it and it quite nice..

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails