Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hidden gems

Usually, we only have our Sunday off to enjoy breakfast at coffee shops. On working days, I normally have very simple breakfast like a cup of Milo or Coffee with some cookies. Hubby will have his healthy oats drink. Last Sunday, we decided to have our breakfast at this shop which is located in a very old hawker center downtown (right behind the new The Store Supermarket)

Noodle stall in an old hawker center right behind the new The Store in town
Not only the food are delicious, I like the utensils being used. Wooden chopsticks arranged in a steel container, porcelain bowls, spoons and saucers being used. Hardly any food outlets uses such traditional utensils anymore. Mostly are plastics and some even uses disposable plates to ease cleaning.

I love to eat noodles with wooden chopsticks and porcelain bowls / saucers
The noodles and condiments are best to eat with the homemade chilli sauces. It was not too spicy but it has some kind of fragrance smell which is so irresistible. 

Even the cilli sauce were kept in a porcelain covered bowl
Normally, if I were to place an order, I will asked for a small portion (RM4). However, that day hubby took the lead and he ordered a large portion (RM5) for me ! Oh my, when the noodles arrived, I was a bit shocked to see the size. It covered almost the whole bowl. I knew I definitely cannot stomached it and cut half of the portion to hubby. He is my 'rubbish bin' literally. haha

Dry version of noodles with kuey teow. On top left, known as fried bomb (deep fried vegetables with some flour in a shaped of a ball ) which comes together with the bowl of noodles.
This bowl of noodle comes with a bowl of delicious soup with assorted fish balls and taufu. The stuffed taufu's meat has a hint of salted fish and it was the best taufu I would say. However, it was a little bit too soft the other day.

Delicious soup with assorted fish balls and white beancurd
I love to drink the soup in this shop. Then, I found out that the cooked actually added dried scallops to make the broth. No wonder it was bursting with flavours ! If you are lucky, you will find this hidden gems in your bowl of soup. In fact, I don't really like dried scallops especially being cooked with porridge, but if boiled with soup, it is totally a different story.

Dried scallops ! No wonder the soup tasted extremely 'sweet'
This stall was usually packed on Sunday morning. We waited for nearly 20 minutes before our food were being served. If not mistaken, they sell lunch too until they are out of stock.

29 comments:

  1. The noodles and soup look good.. Me terbalik..I use scallops and dried oysters to boil porridge for the kids.. Seldom use it to boil soup..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL always boil porridge like you do, but I don't like the taste. If eating porridge, I would prefer plain porridge with side dishes.

      Delete
  2. Such old school places are simply the best but more often than not, when the younger generation takes over, the quality drops. Not so nice anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True....most eateries run by the younger generations doesn't produce good quality food. Not the same taste anymore.

      Delete
  3. hmmm, just a cup of drinks with cookies ah?? for me surely not enough lah.. but i think most probably you don't have time to have a nice breakfast also lah, morning sure rush to work all the time :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take heavy breakfast. I just can't stomached them. Actually I do have time to eat my breakfast peacefully as I usually have it in my office.

      Delete
  4. ah, nice!! i also like places that use porcelain bowls, the food taste kind of more delicious right if compared to using plastic or worse still styrofoam plates..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound too when the spoon knocked against the bowl. haha.... I don't like to tapau because of the styrofoam being used. If possible, I will usually bring my tupperware to bungkus.

      Delete
  5. fuyoh.. yo were so excited or too shocked with the portion until the photo of the noodles also become blur?? haha.. looks good leh, and so nice they use dried scallops for the soup, wah, sure very flavorful and sweet lah~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha.....no la.... my photo blur coz I'm using my old phone to capture picture. My smartphone still in the service center....... dunno when only comes back :(

      Delete
  6. Yum yum. That noodle with kuaw tiaw is like what we called ying yang here.

    i also like the tradtional chopsticks too but ai think because of hygiene, now everyone used the plastic or disposable types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But those wooden chopsticks can be washed and reused. It is totally different from those disposable wooden chopsticks.

      Delete
  7. I can tell the soup is yummy! I am a soup lover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the traditional way the utensils is being put. Nice touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scallops will make the soup taste nice... I love soup too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer soup with pork ribs.

      Delete
  10. The food looks delicious! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to give it a try some times when you are in Seremban

      Delete
  11. I think I will definitely be able to finish that big bowl of noodles haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For guys shouldn't be a problem. For me, I definitely cannot finished them. Too big bowl.

      Delete
  12. Wow .. This place must be famous then !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Arggh....my fav type of noodles and the meatballs too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. simple hawker food, but looks good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! A delicious treat for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice lah. It has been sometime since I last go out and eat. Usually tapau eat at home only since got baby...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hidden Gems... I like that... even got dried scallops in the soup, I like... Must be soupy sweet... there are not many shops like this anymore...

    ReplyDelete

Other related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails